Costs, savings and maintenance
The costs for fitting a typical domestic system range from £6,000 to £10,000 including installation. Running costs vary depending the size of your home and how well insulated it is. Currently you can get a one off payment of £850 from the government through the RHPP scheme to contribute to your installation costs.
Costs & Maintenance
Heat pumps typically come with a 10 year warranty and should be expected to run for at least 20 years. You should check your system every year and arrange to have a professional installer inspect it every 3-5 years.
Heat pumps need electricity to run the fan and pump, but the heat they extract from the air is more than the energy that they use to capture it.
You should leave your heat pump on all the time during the winter as this will make it much more efficient at capturing heat.
In the right home the savings can be considerable. The Energy Saving Trust estimates that when replacing an existing electric heating system in a 3 bed semi detached home you could save up to £610 per year, even before any contribution from the Renewable Heat Incentive.
- What properties are not suitable for an air source heat pump installation?
- Air source heat pumps are not suitable for use in houses where the levels of insulation are not known and where the age and type of the heating distribution system (radiators and pipes) is unknown. Because they produce hot water at a lower temperature than conventional boilers they are particularly suited to house with under-floor heating.
- How much hot water is produced each day by an air source heat pump?
- This will depend on the make and model of air source heat pump that you're planning to use, but a well chosen pump should be able to meet all of your heating needs. You should aim to get advice from at least one well accredited installer when choosing a model.
- How much do they cost and how much will I save?
- Complete our free home Energy Assessment to find out how much a typical air source heat pump would cost for your house, how much it would save you and how long the payback will be.
- Free energy assessment
- Find an energy saving solution
- Get quotes from accredited installers