Costs, savings and maintenance
The costs for fitting a typical domestic system range from £6,000 to £10,000 including installation. Running costs vary depending the size of your home and how well insulated it is. Currently you can get a one off payment of £850 from the government through the RHPP scheme to contribute to your installation costs.
Costs & Maintenance
Heat pumps typically come with a 10 year warranty and should be expected to run for at least 20 years. You should check your system every year and arrange to have a professional installer inspect it every 3-5 years.
Heat pumps need electricity to run the fan and pump, but the heat they extract from the air is more than the energy that they use to capture it.
You should leave your heat pump on all the time during the winter as this will make it much more efficient at capturing heat.
In the right home the savings can be considerable. The Energy Saving Trust estimates that when replacing an existing electric heating system in a 3 bed semi detached home you could save up to £610 per year, even before any contribution from the Renewable Heat Incentive.
- Will I need a new boiler to install an air source heat pump?
- An air source heat pump can provide all your hot water and heating requirements without the need for top-up from a boiler. However, a boiler can be used alongside the pump system as a top up to meet demand in colder weather. This will depend on your current heating system's design.
- How much hot water is produced each day by an air source heat pump?
- This will depend on the make and model of air source heat pump that you're planning to use, but a well chosen pump should be able to meet all of your heating needs. You should aim to get advice from at least one well accredited installer when choosing a model.
- How many air source heat pumps would I need for a large building?
- This depends on the model that you choose, however if you home is well insulated you will need fewer heat pumps to maintain the same temperature level. Your installer will be able to advise you on exactly how many you will need.
- How much do they cost and how much will I save?
- Complete our free home Energy Assessment to find out how much a typical air source heat pump would cost for your house, how much it would save you and how long the payback will be.
- Free energy assessment
- Find an energy saving solution
- Get quotes from accredited installers