Biomass – Wood Fuelled Heating
Biomass is plant material such as wood that you can use to heat your home - it is efficient, carbon neutral, and can save you a significant amount of money on your heating bills. You could also qualify to receive a £950 grant to put towards the cost of biomass system installation.
In a domestic setting when we talk about biomass heating we usually mean wood fuelled heating systems, although other fuels can be burnt sometimes. Wood fuelled heating systems either heat a single room or can be used to power central heating and provide hot water. Typically they burn wood pellets, chips or logs.
Wood fuelled heating systems are most effective when replacing oil, electric or older coal heating. You can burn a range of wood fuels including logs, chip or pellets.
“A biomass boiler could save you around £590 a year on heating bills”
according to the Energy Saving Trust. This is excluding the grant of £950 available from the Renewable Heat Premium Payments and the funding which will become available from the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI).
- What is the annual maintenance cost of a biomass system?
- Typically the annual servicing for a biomass system starts at around £150.00 but this will depend on the make and model.
- Are biomass systems automatically controlled?
- Then can be either partially or fully automated if desired, using a control system which allows you to regulate the temperature, fuel and running of the boiler. Check the manufacturer's specifications for specific details.
- Can you burn plastic for heating?
- Yes, this is possible, but you will NOT be allowed to due to Environmental Agency policies.
- How much do wood pellets cost?
- Complete our Home Energy Assessment to get an accurate estimate of the capital and running cost of a biomass boiler for your house.
- Can biomass be burnt in a smoke controlled area?
- Biomass can be burnt in a smokeless zone, but it would need to be approved by the DTI and the environmental agency.
Reduce your bills
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals