Biomass – Wood Fuelled Heating
Biomass is plant material such as wood that you can use to heat your home - it is efficient, carbon neutral, and can save you a significant amount of money on your heating bills. You could also qualify to receive a £950 grant to put towards the cost of biomass system installation.
In a domestic setting when we talk about biomass heating we usually mean wood fuelled heating systems, although other fuels can be burnt sometimes. Wood fuelled heating systems either heat a single room or can be used to power central heating and provide hot water. Typically they burn wood pellets, chips or logs.
Wood fuelled heating systems are most effective when replacing oil, electric or older coal heating. You can burn a range of wood fuels including logs, chip or pellets.
“A biomass boiler could save you around £590 a year on heating bills”
according to the Energy Saving Trust. This is excluding the grant of £950 available from the Renewable Heat Premium Payments and the funding which will become available from the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI).
- How temperature controllable are biomass systems?
- Some boilers are controllable to 1°. Confirm with your system's manufacturer for specific model details.
- Can fuel storage units for the biomass system be installed underground?
- Yes they can. For details check with your chosen manufacturer.
- How often do biomass systems need filling?
- This would depend on how often the boiler is used and the heat demand. The hopper may need filling anywhere between every couple of days if the demand is high to once a week if it is just ticking over. Attaching the boiler to a fuel store means filling less often, and you can buy automatic (self-filling) systems with a hopper.
- How much do wood pellets cost?
- Complete our Home Energy Assessment to get an accurate estimate of the capital and running cost of a biomass boiler for your house.
- We are going to fit our biomass system ourselves. Would the RHPP grant still apply?
- You are only eligible for a Renewable Heat Premium Payment grant if your biomass system is installed by a registered installer.
Reduce your bills
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals