The benefits of wood fuelled heating
By switching to a biomass heating system, you could save between £280 and £580 per year on your heating bills. There are also grants of £950 available to contribute to the installation from the RHPP scheme.
And, almost more impressively, biomass systems can save you up to 9.5 tonnes of CO2 per year when replacing a conventional heating system.
There are some additional benefits:
- Carbon foot print: Biomass is known as an environmentally friendly source of energy because although it produces carbon dioxide when it’s burnt, it releases the same amount it absorbs while growing. Some carbon emissions are produced by the cultivation, manufacture and transportation of the fuel, but if you source the wood locally, these are still much lower than the emissions from fossil fuels.
- Reduced waste: The wood pellets burnt in biomass systems are made using waste that would otherwise have ended up in a landfill site. Waste material other than wood can also be used in certain circumstances. Be aware that burning waste currently doesn’t attract any government subsidies such as the Renewable Heat Incentive and RHPP.
- Diversification of fuel sources: Using biomass will reduce your dependence on traditional fuels such as oil, so if oil prices spike your heating bills will be largely unaffected.
- RHI: Once launched, the Renewable Heat Incentive and RHPP will pay you to produce heat using your wood fuelled heating system.
- Are biomass systems automatically controlled?
- Then can be either partially or fully automated if desired, using a control system which allows you to regulate the temperature, fuel and running of the boiler. Check the manufacturer's specifications for specific details.
- Can wood pellet systems be automatically fed?
- Some biomass systems can be automatically fed and most systems with this facility will have a range of hoppers and fuel stores that can either auger or vacuum feed the fuel into the system.
- How do I buy wood pellets?
- Wood pellets come in 10 - 15 kg bags or can be delivered loose per tonne. We have more details on how to find a suitable supplier on our Biomass pages.
- We are going to fit our biomass system ourselves. Would the RHPP grant still apply?
- You are only eligible for a Renewable Heat Premium Payment grant if your biomass system is installed by a registered installer.
Reduce your bills
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals