Help with the cost of condensing boilers
You can get help with the costs of fitting a gas, oil or LPG condensing boiler if you are on certain benefits through the Warm Front Scheme, a government scheme available until March 2013. You can get help of up to £3,500 towards a new central heating system if you don’t currently have one. The full eligibility details and application are available here.
- Is a combination condensing boiler more efficient than a regular condensing boiler?
- A combination (Combi) condensing boiler can be more efficient than a standard condensing boiler because it heats water as you need it. Combi boilers are most suitable for smaller homes, as they can only keep up with a certain level of demand. Non-combi boilers produce hot water and then store it in a cylinder for use as and when. This is still quite an efficient process - but if the hot water is not used immediately, then inevitably some heat will be wasted. It will generally depend on the size and amount of hot water you're likely to need. You installer will be able to advise you which type of boiler best suits your needs.
- If I buy a new boiler, does it have to be a condensing boiler?
- Yes. Government legislation now requires all new boilers to be the condensing type unless it would be impossible to fit one, which would probably be the case if there was no way to provide suitable drainage.
- How is the Sedbuk rating calculated?
- The 'seasonal efficiency of a domestic boiler in the UK' (Sedbuk) rating for boilers is calculated from the results of standard laboratory tests, together with other important factors such as boiler type and the kind of fuel used. It describes the boiler's efficiency.
- How reliable are condensing boilers?
- Condensing boilers are reliable if well maintained and serviced regularly. A Which? survey in 2011 found that 46% of owners who bought a boiler after April 2005 have experienced some kind of fault. Not all of these faults required a repair. In fact the most frequent problem, a blocked drainage pipe, experienced by 11% of owners, is actually a problem caused by poor installation.
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals
- Condensing Boilers
- How do Condensing Boilers work?
- How do you choose between a gas, oil and LPG condensing boiler?
- How old should your boiler be before you replace it?
- Installation of Condensing Boilers
- Costs, savings and maintenance
- The benefits of Condensing Boilers
- Switching from electric heating to gas, LPG or oil