Help with the cost of condensing boilers
You can get help with the costs of fitting a gas, oil or LPG condensing boiler if you are on certain benefits through the Warm Front Scheme, a government scheme available until March 2013. You can get help of up to £3,500 towards a new central heating system if you don’t currently have one. The full eligibility details and application are available here.
- How often should I get my condensing boiler serviced?
- It's important to have any gas or oil fired appliance like a condensing boiler serviced once a year. The flue will need checking to make sure it is clear, and a qualified installer should check that your boiler is running safely and efficiently for you. It's best to check with your manufacturer about service schedules, as some boilers may need servicing more than others.
- How can a condensing boiler save me money on my energy bills?
- Condensing boilers are more efficient than standard boilers and therefore utilise less gas during operation. Modern conventional boilers can only offer a typical efficiency rate of 78%, whereas the rate for condensing boilers is around 88% - i.e. for every £1 spent spent on gas, 88p is converted to actual heat. This adds up to significant savings on annual gas bills, which will enable you to quickly recoup the initial outlay for the boiler and benefit from the extra savings. Complete our Home Energy Survey to find out just how long payback will take in your situation.
- If I buy a new boiler, does it have to be a condensing boiler?
- Yes. Government legislation now requires all new boilers to be the condensing type unless it would be impossible to fit one, which would probably be the case if there was no way to provide suitable drainage.
- How reliable are condensing boilers?
- Condensing boilers are reliable if well maintained and serviced regularly. A Which? survey in 2011 found that 46% of owners who bought a boiler after April 2005 have experienced some kind of fault. Not all of these faults required a repair. In fact the most frequent problem, a blocked drainage pipe, experienced by 11% of owners, is actually a problem caused by poor installation.
- Could a condensing boiler save money on my energy bill?
- Which? estimates that the average efficiency of boilers in UK homes is about 70%. This means they waste up to 30% of the heat they generate in the form of hot flue gases. This suggests that installing a condensing boiler, which has an efficiency of around 88%, can reasonably achieve savings of between £50 and £200 per year depending on the size of your house - and the saving will increase as the cost of gas increases. Complete our free assessment to find out just how much you could save.
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals
- Condensing Boilers
- How do Condensing Boilers work?
- How do you choose between a gas, oil and LPG condensing boiler?
- How old should your boiler be before you replace it?
- Installation of Condensing Boilers
- Costs, savings and maintenance
- The benefits of Condensing Boilers
- Switching from electric heating to gas, LPG or oil