How do you choose between a gas, oil and LPG condensing boiler?
Condensing boilers can be fuelled by gas, oil or LPG. If you can get a gas boiler installed, this is ideal, as gas is the cheapest fuel. If you cannot or do not want to be connected to the gas network, you can opt for an LPG or oil system instead.
- How is the Sedbuk rating calculated?
- The 'seasonal efficiency of a domestic boiler in the UK' (Sedbuk) rating for boilers is calculated from the results of standard laboratory tests, together with other important factors such as boiler type and the kind of fuel used. It describes the boiler's efficiency.
- How reliable are condensing boilers?
- Condensing boilers are reliable if well maintained and serviced regularly. A Which? survey in 2011 found that 46% of owners who bought a boiler after April 2005 have experienced some kind of fault. Not all of these faults required a repair. In fact the most frequent problem, a blocked drainage pipe, experienced by 11% of owners, is actually a problem caused by poor installation.
- Could a condensing boiler save money on my energy bill?
- Which? estimates that the average efficiency of boilers in UK homes is about 70%. This means they waste up to 30% of the heat they generate in the form of hot flue gases. This suggests that installing a condensing boiler, which has an efficiency of around 88%, can reasonably achieve savings of between £50 and £200 per year depending on the size of your house - and the saving will increase as the cost of gas increases. Complete our free assessment to find out just how much you could save.
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals