How do you choose between a gas, oil and LPG condensing boiler?
Condensing boilers can be fuelled by gas, oil or LPG. If you can get a gas boiler installed, this is ideal, as gas is the cheapest fuel. If you cannot or do not want to be connected to the gas network, you can opt for an LPG or oil system instead.
- How can a condensing boiler save me money on my energy bills?
- Condensing boilers are more efficient than standard boilers and therefore utilise less gas during operation. Modern conventional boilers can only offer a typical efficiency rate of 78%, whereas the rate for condensing boilers is around 88% - i.e. for every £1 spent spent on gas, 88p is converted to actual heat. This adds up to significant savings on annual gas bills, which will enable you to quickly recoup the initial outlay for the boiler and benefit from the extra savings. Complete our Home Energy Survey to find out just how long payback will take in your situation.
- What does the Sedbuk efficiency rating mean?
- Sedbuk stands for 'seasonal efficiency of a domestic boiler in the UK' and is now given as a percentage score. This score is an estimate of efficiency when the boiler is installed under typical conditions in Britain, taking into account climate, housing conditions, occupancy patterns, and controls.
- If I buy a new boiler, does it have to be a condensing boiler?
- Yes. Government legislation now requires all new boilers to be the condensing type unless it would be impossible to fit one, which would probably be the case if there was no way to provide suitable drainage.
- Could a condensing boiler save money on my energy bill?
- Which? estimates that the average efficiency of boilers in UK homes is about 70%. This means they waste up to 30% of the heat they generate in the form of hot flue gases. This suggests that installing a condensing boiler, which has an efficiency of around 88%, can reasonably achieve savings of between £50 and £200 per year depending on the size of your house - and the saving will increase as the cost of gas increases. Complete our free assessment to find out just how much you could save.
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals