The benefits of micro CHP
Micro-CHP has several benefits, including:
- Electricity generation as a by-product of heat - When the micro-CHP is generating heat, the internal engine or fuel cell will also generate electricity to be used in your home (or exported).
- Carbon savings - By generating electricity on-site you are saving significant amounts of carbon as there are minimal losses occurring as compared with the grid. It has been suggested that a micro CHP system can meet up to half of a home’s electricity demand.
- Financial income - Micro-CHP qualifies for the Feed-in Tariff scheme and you will be able to earn 12.89p for each kWh your system generates. You will also earn 4.64p for each kWh of electricity you export, which with the Generation tariff payment adds up to £210 a year.
- Savings on energy bills - Any electricity generated will be ‘free’ as the fuel would have been burnt to generate heat anyway.
- Installation is easy - Installing a micro-CHP unit is an easy task. Given the electricity generated, an electrician will also be involved with the installation, but this is something the installer will organise.
An average domestic micro CHP system can generate as much as 1kW of electricity per hour when warmed up. This is enough to meet up to 50% of the electricity demand in a typical home.
What to do next?
- Are micro CHP boilers suitable for all types of homes?
- In principle, they are, and as the technology is becoming more prevalent there will be more choice from manufacturers to suit various homes better.
- Are micro CHP boilers easy to install?
- Yes, installation is comparable to that of a high-performance boiler.
- How much electricity does a micro CHP boiler generate?
- For a typical system the electrical output will be approximately 1 kW.
- What happens to the electricity that is generated by a micro CHP boiler that I don't use?
- Surplus electricity is returned to the electricity grid. You can receive payments for this electricity through the Feed-In Tariff scheme if your installation is carried out by an MCS certified installer - find out more about this on our Feed-In Tariff pages.
- Green energy solutions for your home
- Save money and CO2
- Qualified installers waiting for you