The benefits of micro CHP
Micro-CHP has several benefits, including:
- Electricity generation as a by-product of heat - When the micro-CHP is generating heat, the internal engine or fuel cell will also generate electricity to be used in your home (or exported).
- Carbon savings - By generating electricity on-site you are saving significant amounts of carbon as there are minimal losses occurring as compared with the grid. It has been suggested that a micro CHP system can meet up to half of a home’s electricity demand.
- Financial income - Micro-CHP qualifies for the Feed-in Tariff scheme and you will be able to earn 12.89p for each kWh your system generates. You will also earn 4.64p for each kWh of electricity you export, which with the Generation tariff payment adds up to £210 a year.
- Savings on energy bills - Any electricity generated will be ‘free’ as the fuel would have been burnt to generate heat anyway.
- Installation is easy - Installing a micro-CHP unit is an easy task. Given the electricity generated, an electrician will also be involved with the installation, but this is something the installer will organise.
An average domestic micro CHP system can generate as much as 1kW of electricity per hour when warmed up. This is enough to meet up to 50% of the electricity demand in a typical home.
What to do next?
- What are the benefits of the micro CHP boiler?
- Micro CHP essentially allows you to generate your own free electricity using the waste heat produced by your boiler, saving energy and saving you money on your energy bill.
- Can my home be disconnected from the National grid if I use a micro CHP unit?
- No, the house will need to remain connected to the main supply - the unit won't be able to meet all of your electricity needs. As the micro CHP boiler is a gas-fired boiler, the gas connection must also remain in place.
- How much electricity does a micro CHP boiler generate?
- For a typical system the electrical output will be approximately 1 kW.
- What is the service life of a micro CHP system?
- The lifetime of a micro CHP unit is similar to the average service life of a normal central heating boiler.
- Green energy solutions for your home
- Save money and CO2
- Qualified installers waiting for you