Solar Electricity (PV)
Costs: £4,500-£5,500 I Annual Savings: £560 I Payback: 10 years I Profit: £5000
You can generate cheap, green electricity from sunlight, even here in Britain.
Solar electricity systems capture the sun's energy using photovoltaic (PV) cells. The cells convert sunlight into electricity, and this electricity can power your lighting and appliances. You can receive payments for the electricity you generate, as well as for exporting any electricity you don’t use to the grid.
The cells used in solar panels are now so efficient that they will work well anywhere in Britain particularly if you have a southerly orientated roof. A typical home PV system can produce around 50% of the electricity used in an average household per year (Department of Energy and Climate Change), saving around £140 on your electricity bills.
In 2010, the government introduced the Feed-in-Tariff scheme to encourage uptake of solar panels. Under this scheme, your energy supplier pays you for any energy that you generate using your solar panels, as well as any excess that you export to the grid. The average installation can make around £420 a year in FITs at current tariff rates. You can alternatively get the installation paid for using a loan from the Green Deal finance scheme.
Fitting panels is not a complex process, and you can get them fitted with very little disruption, you just have to find the BEST SOLAR PANEL COMPANY to work with. You do need to ensure that you get a qualified installer to qualify for the FITs.
- Will my roof be strong enough to take a solar PV system?
- Check this with your installation company as he should be able to confirm when the survey is completed prior to installation (they must do this before starting any installation). The majority is roofs are strong enough to take the weight of solar panels but should you need any extra reinforcement, you should factor this extra into your calculations and payback.
- Do solar PV installation prices include the price of scaffolding?
- Some PV installers do not include the cost of installing the necessary scaffold at your property when quoting costs. Make sure that you check this when comparing quotes from various installers.
- What guarantees do solar PV panels come with?
- It does vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but typically Solar PV panels will come with an output guarantee in the region of 20 and 25 years. The Inverter will have a shorter life, and your should budget to have this replaced once during the life of your system (25 years or more) and therefore has a shorter guarantee, typically around 5 years. The labour guarantee will depend on your installer and your should ask or study the fine print in your quote; 5 years is fairly typical.
- Is there an approvals standard for solar PV panels?
- Yes, solar panels can be approved by the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS). In order to qualify for the Feed-In Tariff scheme you must ensure that you use MCS approved panels.
Reduce your bills
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals