Thermostats & Heating Controls
By being able to control your heating and hot water so that it is only on when it is needed and only heats to the required temperature and no more can have a significant impact on your bills.
How much you can save will depend on the heating controls that you have, but if you are able to reduce the temperature in your home by 1 degree Celcius then you should save 10% of your heating bill a year or £50 per year.
By being able to control your heating and hot water systems you can ensure that your home and water is hot when you need it and you are not paying to heat them unnecessarily. Regardless of how old your boiler is it is possible to fit modern and highly flexible controls that can allow you to start saving immediately.
Depending on your circumstances there are grants available to assist with fitting your heating controls. The BEAMA suggest that “improvements to controls can reduce the carbon emissions from heating and hot water by up to 20%.”
Some of the more sophisticated systems will allow you to create heating zones in your home which can be heated to different temperatures and at different times depending on when the room or zone will be used!
They’ll help you to waste less fuel and heat too – keeping your heating bills and CO2 emissions down. The energy and cost benefits from improved controls can be achieved straight away with any boiler.
- Can all of the heaters in my house be controlled by one thermostat?
- Yes, they can, as long as the wattage rating of the thermostat is not exceeded, and you'll need to change the wiring of your setup. It's best to get an electrician to do this.
- How can I use my thermostat best to save energy?
- If energy efficiency is important, keep in mind that wide temperature fluctuations in thermostats can waste energy, increasing the cost of running your heaters and decreasing your comfort level.
- Why is a programmable thermostat useful?
- A programmable thermostat is useful to have because it gives you the ability to pre-program in the different temperatures you want your house to be heated to at different times of the day. The thermostat then adjusts your system to meet the desired temperature at different points in the day. This allows you to do away with the old heating timer and thermostat combination.
Reduce your bills
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals