The benefits of Wall & Loft Insulation
It is pretty much universally agreed that around a quarter of the heat in your home is lost through the roof and a further third is lost through the walls – maybe more! The more that this heat loss is reduced the easier – and cheaper – it will be to heat your home.
Some of the main benefits for insulating your walls and loft are:
- Optimal Temperature - Comfort is improved year-round as it will be easier to control the temperature of your home, both keeping it warm in winter and cool in summer
- Reduces Energy Bills - by over 40% and it pays for itself in around two to four years, and keeps paying for itself year after year for over 40 years
- Reduce Carbon Emissions – Saves non-renewable resources as less energy is need to heat your home, reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduced Condensation – When fitted well it will virtually eliminate condensation on walls and ceilings
- Sound Proofing - Insulation materials are often very effective at sound proofing
- Improve your Home Efficiency Rating - The EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is used whenever a home is sold or rented to measure its energy performance - insulation will improve its rating
Overall the savings for insulating your walls and loft could be £265 per year and 1.4 tonnes of carbon! This could be even more if you have solid walls.
Few investments are this good!
You can even get your loft and cavity wall insulation installed for free through the HHCRO scheme, part of the ECO, the grant scheme running alongside the Green Deal. The scheme is paid for by the energy companies. You can check whether you qualify for free insulation and apply through us by heading to our HHCRO Free Insulation page.
There are also grants available for solid wall insulation through another part of the ECO. It’s not yet clear how customers will be able to apply for this scheme. It’s likely we’ll know more in May 2013 – we’ll update this page when we do.
- Are there any grants available for installing solid wall insulation?
- The will be a grant scheme available for solid wall insulation under the ECO (Energy Company Obligation), the complementary grant scheme to the Green Deal. Under the ECO (Carbon Saving Obligation), any UK resident will be able to get their solid wall insulation installation either partially or fully funded. It's not yet clear how people should apply for this scheme, as the both the Green Deal and ECO have just launched. It's likely we'll know more in March (2013).
- I have lots of rubbish in my loft. Do I need to clear it out or will the installer do this for me?
- Yes, you will need to clear the roof of any rubbish or stored objects before the insulation is installed.
- Do I need to provide extra ventilation to my loft space if I insulate it?
- That depends on whether it is adequately ventilated at the moment. Increasing the amount of insulation in the loft can lead to condensation of water vapour on any timber there. If your loft is not properly ventilated your installer will advise you, and can install simple vents that will ensure an adequate air flow through the loft.
- Green energy solutions for your home
- Save money and CO2
- Qualified installers waiting for you