Grants for FREE Wall & Loft Insulation
There are a number of government schemes funding grants for free cavity wall, solid wall and loft insulation for UK residents. Some grants are available to everyone, and others target those on certain benefits.
ECO Affordable Warmth Scheme and Carbon Saving Obligation
The ECO is a grant scheme running along the government’s Green Deal loan scheme, which was launched at the end of January 2013. Again, it is funded by UK energy suppliers.
HHCRO (Formerly the Affordable Warmth scheme)
This scheme funds cavity wall and loft insulation for anyone receiving certain benefits. You can check your eligibility and apply by visiting our HHCRO Free Insulation page.
Carbon Saving Obligation
This scheme gives grants to either partially fund or give free solid wall insulation installations, and is open to everyone as it is not means tested. It is not yet clear how people will be able to apply to the scheme – we should know more in May.
- Can I install cavity wall insulation myself?
- No, this is because specialist equipment is needed to install the insulation into the cavity and it's important that the cavity is fully filled with the correct density of insulation. This is why only trained and approved installers are used, and this allows a guarantee can be given on the work. You will also need the work to be professionally done if it is being funded by any government grants.
- What guarantee of workmanship should I look out for in a cavity wall insulation installer?
- Cavity wall insulation installers can sign up to a professional code of practice, such as those provided by the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency, which guarantees the work for 25 years. The installer should carry out post-installation checks on both the inside and the outside of the property, and you will be asked to sign a form to show you are happy with the work.
- Are there any grants available for installing solid wall insulation?
- The will be a grant scheme available for solid wall insulation under the ECO (Energy Company Obligation), the complementary grant scheme to the Green Deal. Under the ECO (Carbon Saving Obligation), any UK resident will be able to get their solid wall insulation installation either partially or fully funded. It's not yet clear how people should apply for this scheme, as the both the Green Deal and ECO have just launched. It's likely we'll know more in March (2013).
- There is a lot of pipework in my loft space. Should I insulate the pipe work too?
- Yes, it is a good idea and many insulation installers will do this for you - it usually involves fitting foam 'jackets' over the pipes.
- What is loft insulation made of?
- Typically, loft insulation is a mineral wool made out of glass or rock fibers. You can also get natural loft insulation made of sheep's wool, hemp or cellulose which will remove the need for protective equipment,
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals