Grants for FREE Wall & Loft Insulation
There are a number of government schemes funding grants for free cavity wall, solid wall and loft insulation for UK residents. Some grants are available to everyone, and others target those on certain benefits.
ECO Affordable Warmth Scheme and Carbon Saving Obligation
The ECO is a grant scheme running along the government’s Green Deal loan scheme, which was launched at the end of January 2013. Again, it is funded by UK energy suppliers.
HHCRO (Formerly the Affordable Warmth scheme)
This scheme funds cavity wall and loft insulation for anyone receiving certain benefits. You can check your eligibility and apply by visiting our HHCRO Free Insulation page.
Carbon Saving Obligation
This scheme gives grants to either partially fund or give free solid wall insulation installations, and is open to everyone as it is not means tested. It is not yet clear how people will be able to apply to the scheme – we should know more in May.
- If my house was built with a cavity, surely it's there for a reason?
- The purpose of the cavity is to prevent rain that soaks into the outside brickwork from crossing to the inside wall. The cavity interrupts any water that soaks through the brickwork and drains it to the bottom of the wall where it drains to the outside. Injecting mineral wool insulation into the cavity still allows water to drain to the bottom of the wall, so the cavity still works as intended.
- I know about cavity wall insulation, but my home has solid walls. Can I insulate these?
- Yes, you can insulate solid walls, and doing so will save you even more money on your bills than cavity wall insulation. Solid wall insulation can be fitted as either external or internal insulation - you can use our assessment tool to see how much you can save with these measures.
- I have lots of rubbish in my loft. Do I need to clear it out or will the installer do this for me?
- Yes, you will need to clear the roof of any rubbish or stored objects before the insulation is installed.
- How long does it take professionals to install loft insulation?
- It takes professional installers about 2 hours to install loft insulation in an average sized loft.
- My loft has been fitted with floorboards - will this cause a problem?
- Not necessarily. You can lay the insulation once the floorboards have been taken up, and put the floorboards back over the insulation, or, if you prefer, you can have your insulation lain directly over the floorboards.
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals