Grants for FREE Wall & Loft Insulation
There are a number of government schemes funding grants for free cavity wall, solid wall and loft insulation for UK residents. Some grants are available to everyone, and others target those on certain benefits.
ECO Affordable Warmth Scheme and Carbon Saving Obligation
The ECO is a grant scheme running along the government’s Green Deal loan scheme, which was launched at the end of January 2013. Again, it is funded by UK energy suppliers.
HHCRO (Formerly the Affordable Warmth scheme)
This scheme funds cavity wall and loft insulation for anyone receiving certain benefits. You can check your eligibility and apply by visiting our HHCRO Free Insulation page.
Carbon Saving Obligation
This scheme gives grants to either partially fund or give free solid wall insulation installations, and is open to everyone as it is not means tested. It is not yet clear how people will be able to apply to the scheme – we should know more in May.
- What guarantee of workmanship should I look out for in a cavity wall insulation installer?
- Cavity wall insulation installers can sign up to a professional code of practice, such as those provided by the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency, which guarantees the work for 25 years. The installer should carry out post-installation checks on both the inside and the outside of the property, and you will be asked to sign a form to show you are happy with the work.
- I want to use my loft for storage, how can I do that if it is insulated to the depth recommended?
- You or your installer can instead lay down innovative loft boards called Space Board. These are insulation boards made from Polyfoam extruded polystyrene designed to be placed on top of the ceiling joists instead of the 170mm mineral wool insulation. You should still aim to lay down 100mm of standard insulation between the joists.
- Is it true that everyone in the UK is entitled to subsidised insulation?
- Yes, everyone is entitled to a subsidy and some people can even have free installation. Why? Because the UK Government is obligated to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by international environmental agreements. One of the easiest ways to achieve a large reduction in greenhouse gas emissions is through increased home energy efficiency. The Government has stated that cavity wall insulation and loft insulation are the most effective methods which is why they have legislated for power/energy utilities and power companies to provide subsidies.
- There is a lot of pipework in my loft space. Should I insulate the pipe work too?
- Yes, it is a good idea and many insulation installers will do this for you - it usually involves fitting foam 'jackets' over the pipes.
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals