Grants for FREE Wall & Loft Insulation
There are a number of government schemes funding grants for free cavity wall, solid wall and loft insulation for UK residents. Some grants are available to everyone, and others target those on certain benefits.
ECO Affordable Warmth Scheme and Carbon Saving Obligation
The ECO is a grant scheme running along the government’s Green Deal loan scheme, which was launched at the end of January 2013. Again, it is funded by UK energy suppliers.
HHCRO (Formerly the Affordable Warmth scheme)
This scheme funds cavity wall and loft insulation for anyone receiving certain benefits. You can check your eligibility and apply by visiting our HHCRO Free Insulation page.
Carbon Saving Obligation
This scheme gives grants to either partially fund or give free solid wall insulation installations, and is open to everyone as it is not means tested. It is not yet clear how people will be able to apply to the scheme – we should know more in May.
- Does cavity wall insulation make a mess?
- It shouldn't - all work is carried out externally through small holes in the brickwork joints. A small amount of dust is created when the holes are drilled. The cavity wall insulation is then blown into place using a hose, straight into the wall, so there are no spills.
- I live in a flat, can I get cavity wall insulation installed?
- It's not practical to insulate a single flat in a block. If the property has cavity walls, the whole building should be insulated.
- I already have some loft insulation - do I need to install more?
- If your loft insulation is 100mm or less you would certainly benefit by having it topped up with more insulation to make it up to a 270mm thickness. The Energy Saving Trust estimates that top-up loft insulation can save the average householder as much as £60 per year at current energy prices.
- My loft has been fitted with floorboards - will this cause a problem?
- Not necessarily. You can lay the insulation once the floorboards have been taken up, and put the floorboards back over the insulation, or, if you prefer, you can have your insulation lain directly over the floorboards.
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals