Grants for FREE Wall & Loft Insulation
There are a number of government schemes funding grants for free cavity wall, solid wall and loft insulation for UK residents. Some grants are available to everyone, and others target those on certain benefits.
ECO Affordable Warmth Scheme and Carbon Saving Obligation
The ECO is a grant scheme running along the government’s Green Deal loan scheme, which was launched at the end of January 2013. Again, it is funded by UK energy suppliers.
HHCRO (Formerly the Affordable Warmth scheme)
This scheme funds cavity wall and loft insulation for anyone receiving certain benefits. You can check your eligibility and apply by visiting our HHCRO Free Insulation page.
Carbon Saving Obligation
This scheme gives grants to either partially fund or give free solid wall insulation installations, and is open to everyone as it is not means tested. It is not yet clear how people will be able to apply to the scheme – we should know more in May.
- How long does it take to install cavity wall insulation?
- Most homes can be insulated in about 3 hours, but larger houses may take a whole day.
- I live in a flat, can I get cavity wall insulation installed?
- It's not practical to insulate a single flat in a block. If the property has cavity walls, the whole building should be insulated.
- I know about cavity wall insulation, but my home has solid walls. Can I insulate these?
- Yes, you can insulate solid walls, and doing so will save you even more money on your bills than cavity wall insulation. Solid wall insulation can be fitted as either external or internal insulation - you can use our assessment tool to see how much you can save with these measures.
- How much loft insulation do I need?
- To meet current Building Regulations you need 270mm of mineral wool insulation - that's 100mm between the ceiling joists and 170mm laid over the joists.
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals