Insulating your flat roof can reduce your roof’s heat loss by around 90% and save you hundreds of pounds a year on your heating bill.
How it works
Roof insulation works by helping your home to retain heat– reducing the amount of fuel you need to burn for heating and reducing your heating bills in the process.
Flat roofs should ideally be insulated from above using insulation boards. These can be attached either on top on your roof’s waterproof covering or between the timber and the weatherproof layer. It’s ideal to do if you are replacing your roof covering, and is actually a legal requirement in this situation. You can get the insulation installed on the underside of your roof instead, but this may cause condensation issues. Both types of insulation should usually be installed by a contractor.
Cost and Maintenance
A guide to roof insulation types and costs is available here.
Roof insulation can typically save the average home £180 a year on their heating bills.
- My house is semi-detached/terraced and my neighbour(s) doesn't want cavity wall insulation. Can you still insulate my walls?
- Yes, your house can still be insulated. The installer will need to make a hole at the top and bottom of the wall to insert a spacer at the junction between the two houses. This prevents insulation being blown into the cavity of your neighbour's house.
- I have lots of rubbish in my loft. Do I need to clear it out or will the installer do this for me?
- Yes, you will need to clear the roof of any rubbish or stored objects before the insulation is installed.
- I want to use my loft for storage, how can I do that if it is insulated to the depth recommended?
- You or your installer can instead lay down innovative loft boards called Space Board. These are insulation boards made from Polyfoam extruded polystyrene designed to be placed on top of the ceiling joists instead of the 170mm mineral wool insulation. You should still aim to lay down 100mm of standard insulation between the joists.
- How long does it take professionals to install loft insulation?
- It takes professional installers about 2 hours to install loft insulation in an average sized loft.
- What is loft insulation made of?
- Typically, loft insulation is a mineral wool made out of glass or rock fibers. You can also get natural loft insulation made of sheep's wool, hemp or cellulose which will remove the need for protective equipment,
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals