Feed-In Tariff

If you generate electricity in your home you can get paid for it through the government backed Feed-In Tariff! And you don’t have to pay to use the electricity that you generate.

There are a number of qualifying electricity generating technologies. The most commonly known are Solar Electricity (PV), (solar panel systems) and micro Wind Power (domestic wind turbines) .

Get home energy savings!

The basics

Currently you can install an electricity generating technology in your home, such as solar panels or a domestic wind turbine, and use it to generate your own electricity free of charge, saving you money on your energy bills.

Under the Feed-In Tariff scheme, your energy supplier pays you for each unit of electricity generated as well as any electricity you do not use and export to the Grid. This helps to reduce the payback time of your installation, and can even make you money after the installation has paid for itself. Being guaranteed by the government means it is very secure, and the payments are linked to inflation so that you will continue to receive a strong return on your investment for the period of the scheme – up to 20 years in some cases.

Very soon you will also be able to receive payments for generating heat too. Certain low carbon technologies will qualify for payments for the heat that they generate through the Renewable Heat Incentive.

There is almost certainly a technology that is suitable for your home that will qualify for the Feed-in-Tariff. This will depend on your home but with a little information it is possible to see which energy generating solutions would be best for you.

See how much electricity you can produce!

The Technologies that can qualify for the Feed-in-Tariff are:



What happens to the Feed-In Tariff payments if I move home?
Ownership of the technology is linked to the site and, therefore, in the case where building or home ownership changes, the ownership of the technology would also transfer to the new owner and so would the Feed-In Tariff payments. .
I rent my property. If my landlord installs an electricity generating technology, who would receive the Feed-in-Tariff?
It will be up to landlords and tenants of the property to come to an arrangement about the receipt of payments and on-site electricity use benefits.
My system is not connected to the electricity grid - can I still claim the Feed-in Tariff?
Yes, you will be eligible to receive a generation tariff at the tariff rate that is applicable for the type and capacity of the generating technology.
Why are they called 'Feed-In' Tariffs?
This sort of tariff was first introduced in Germany in the 1990s and it applied only to power which was 'fed in' to the electricity grid, hence the name. The tariffs in the UK apply to all the electricity the system produces, whether it is used on site or fed back in to the grid, so the name is actually a misnomer (they are really 'production tariffs').
Get more answers ...

Reduce your bills

  • Free no obligation survey
  • Quick - 3 minute home assessment
  • Connect to qualified professionals
Calculate your savings!