Qualification requirements

There are a number of simple requirements you must meet to receive payment through the Feed-in-Tariff.

  • You must be using an eligible technology to generate your electricity.
  • You must use a registered installer.
  • And you must register your installation correctly.

Find a solution for your home!

The Technologies

The technologies eligible for FIT payments are:

  • Solar PV
  • Wind turbines
  • Hydroelectricity (inc. some small tidal projects)
  • Anaerobic digesters
  • Micro combined heat and power (CHP)

To qualify for Feed-in-Tariff payments, microgeneration systems up to 50kW (typically home systems will be in this size range) must be installed by installers approved by the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) for solar PV, wind turbines or microCHP. You will need ROO-FIT accreditation for hydroelectricity and anaerobic digestion, as well as installations over 50kW in capacity. Fore more information on this take a look at How Does the Feed-In Tariff Work?

The FIT Generation Tariff rate paid to you for a Solar PV system will vary depending on your circumstances. If your house is EPC rated as D or higher pre the Solar PV installation, you will qualify for the highest tariff rate – if your EPC rating is below D, you will be paid the lower rate. There is also a medium rate, which applies to you if your property is D rated or above but you own more than 25 such properties.

If you want to combine the Feed-In Tariff and the Green Deal to help you fund the upfront costs of a Solar PV system without losing the benefits of the FI pay-as-you-generate scheme, you can now do this, but you will need to get a Green Deal Assessment done by a qualified Adviser before you plan the installation. This is to confirm that Solar PV is an effective solution for you. You may also have to meet some minimum requirements in terms of the energy efficiency of your home – as in, you may have to install additional measures before you can get the Green Deal approved for the Solar PV. More information on this can be found in our Green Deal pages.

Once you have your accreditation details from MCS or ROO-FIT you need to inform your chosen energy supplier. The supplier will then register your installation onto the Central FIT Register and start paying you your tariff.

Summary Checklist

Ensure that you complete the following:

  1. Choose a technology that qualifies for the Feed-in-Tariff
  2. Get a Green Deal Assessment if you want Green Deal funding
  3. Check the EPC rating of your property
  4. Ensure that your size of installation will not exclude you from the tariff
  5. Choose a MCS certified installer
  6. Inform your electricity supplier

Find an accredited installer in your area



I rent my property. If my landlord installs an electricity generating technology, who would receive the Feed-in-Tariff?
It will be up to landlords and tenants of the property to come to an arrangement about the receipt of payments and on-site electricity use benefits.
My system is not connected to the electricity grid - can I still claim the Feed-in Tariff?
Yes, you will be eligible to receive a generation tariff at the tariff rate that is applicable for the type and capacity of the generating technology.
What is renewable electricity?
It is power produced from a sustainable source such as solar, wind, or biomass. Electricity from fossil fuels like coal, oil and gas or from nuclear stations is not renewable.
What's the Generation Tariff?
You earn a fixed income for every kilowatt hour of electricity you generate and use in your property.
Get more answers ...

Save Energy!

  • Free energy assessment
  • Find an energy saving solution
  • Get quotes from accredited installers
Assess your home for free!