LESA (Landlord’s Energy Saving Allowance)
If you are a landlord and make energy saving improvements to your property, you could reduce the tax you pay. You can do this by claiming the Landlord’s Energy Saving Allowance.
You can claim LESA if you are a landlord renting out residential property and are either:
- an individual landlord – someone who pays income tax on profits from letting
- a corporate landlord – someone whose rental business is registered as a company and you pay corporation tax on profits from letting
However, you can’t claim if you are a landlord:
- claiming an allowance under the ‘Rent a Room’ scheme
- of a property rented out as furnished holiday accommodation
LESA is a tax allowance (not a cash payment) that allows you to claim up to £1,500 against tax every year. This allowance can be claimed for properties you rent out in the UK and abroad. You can claim LESA for the costs of buying and installing certain energy saving products for properties you rent out, but only for what you actually spend.
You can claim LESA for what you have spent on:
- cavity wall and loft insulation, after 6 April 2004
- solid wall insulation, after 7 April 2005
- draught proofing and hot water system insulation, after 6 April 2006
- floor insulation, after 6 April 2007
You can claim LESA up to 1 April 2015, when the availability of this allowance will end.
You claim the allowance when filling in your tax return. Further details can be found on the HMRC website. To see what expenses are allowed you can get more information about the scheme on the DirectGov website.
- How much is LESA?
- LESA is a tax allowance (not a cash payment) that allows you to claim up to £1,500 against tax every year.
- When does the LESA Allowance expire?
- You can claim LESA up to 1 April 2015, when the availability of this allowance will end.
- When was the allowance available from?
- Individual landlords have been able to claim the allowance since 6 April 2004 - for corporate landlords it's been available since 8 July 2008.
- Free energy assessment
- Find an energy saving solution
- Get quotes from accredited installers