Renewable Heat Incentive and RHPP
Renewable Heat Premium Payments and the Renewable Heat Incentive are schemes that pay you to implement heat generating technology in your home in place of an oil, solid fuel or electrical based heating system.
Renewable Heat Subsidy Basics
The Renewable Heat Premium Payments are a one off grant towards the cost of installing a renewable heat generation technology in your home, such as a heat pump. The grant is between £600-£2,300 depending on the technology. This grant is currently available to any home using a suitable fuel system, and is available alongside the Renewable Heat Incentive which will be launching shortly.
The Renewable Heat Incentive is a regular payment you will receive from the government per unit of heat you generate using your renewable heat generation technology. You will be paid quarterly for 7 years, by which time the technology should have paid for itself. The final details of this scheme have just been announced, with details of how to apply to the scheme to be made available shortly. If you qualify for the RHPP you will qualify for the RHI when it is implemented, and you can receive funding from both the RHPP and RHI – your RHPP grant will simply be deducted from your RHI payments to avoid a double subsidy.
Administering the Renewable Heat Subsidies
The scheme has been introduced in two phases.
1. In the first phase, it consisted of two parts;
a. Long-term tariff support has been targeted in the non-domestic sectors, at the big heat users – the industrial, business and public sector – which contribute 38% of the UK’s carbon emissions.
b. There has also been support of around £15 million for households through the Renewable Heat Incentive Premium Payments.
2. The second phase of the RHI scheme will see it expanded to include more technologies as well as support for households. This transition is proposed to happen in Spring 2014, but details of what the scheme will involve have already been announced – they are available on our Renewable Heat Incentive page.
- What is the Renewable Heat Premium Payment?
- The Renewable Heat Premium Payment is a scheme to support people who want to install renewable heat technologies. It will also help the government learn more about how these technologies work in practice, prior to the expansion of the Renewable Heat Incentive to the household sector.
- Will I need to pay for any monitoring that is carried out?
- A significant proportion of applicants will be approached by Energy Saving Trust to have additional meters attached to their installation which will monitor the performance of the heating system. They will not have to pay for these or take readings themselves. Everyone has to agree to let a meter be installed as part of the terms and conditions of the scheme. For everyone else, any meters and controls which come with the product already will be sufficient. You will be asked through surveys information about these meters and the bills that you get; and in particular how easy it is to understand the meters and the controls, as well as general feedback on your satisfaction with the system installation and its performance.
- Can I still receive a grant if a non-certified installer performs the installation?
- Only if an MCS certificated installer commissions the system after the non-certified installer has finished the installation. In this case, the certificated installer must fill out the completion certificate, and you must provide a suitable chain of invoices showing all of the costs of the installation.
- How long will it take to receive my Renewable Heat Premium Payment voucher?
- If the information you have given in your application satisfies the eligibility criteria of the scheme then you will usually receive immediate confirmation of whether your application has been successful. If you have been awarded a voucher, this will be emailed to your nominated email address within 24 hours. Occasionally applications will be referred to our administration team for further checking. You will be alerted to this once your application has been submitted and you will receive notification of whether it has been successful within 5 working days.
Reduce your bills
- Free no obligation survey
- Quick - 3 minute home assessment
- Connect to qualified professionals