How does the RHPP work?
The RHPP scheme allows domestic users to benefit and implement carbon reducing technologies.by providing grants towards their installation costs. The RHPP scheme works alongside the newly launched Renewable Heat Incentive Scheme which pays customers a fixed rate to generate heat using their renewable heat technology.
They work in the form of a grant voucher that can be used to contribute towards the cost of installing the relevant technology in your home. The value of these vouchers varies depending on the technology being installed :
- Solar thermal hot water £600
- Air-to-water heat pump £1,300
- Ground-source or water-source heat pump £2,300
- Biomass boiler £2,000
The scheme focuses on houses not heated by mains gas. These homes will be able to apply for grants for air-source and ground source heat pumps, biomass boilers and solar thermal. Homes heated by gas will be able to apply for a grant for a solar thermal installation.
In order to qualify for the Renewable Heat Premium Payment you must meet certain requirements:
- The system must be installed by a registered MCS installer
- The property must be owned by you, or you must purchase the system yourself and gain the permission of your landlord
- If the property is a new build you must retain ownership of the property (ie, the scheme is not open to developers)
- All appropriate planning and environmental permissions must be in place
- You must get a Green Deal Assessment carried out on your home by a qualified Adviser to determine whether a renewable heat technology will make a saving in your home
- The loft insulation should be a depth of 250mm and cavity wall insulation must be installed, where practical
- You must complete and return two customer surveys, so the Government can understand heating requirements in different types of homes
- As a condition of the scheme the Government will pay for a significant sample of homes to receive heat meters to monitor their energy use.
- The renewable heat system being installed must be registered under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS)
The scheme applies to England, Wales and Scotland. Once the budget for the scheme is reached (and there is a review point at £10m), there will be no more Renewable Heat Premium Payments – so apply now!
Applying for the Renewable Heat Premium Payment
Before you apply do ensure that you have complied with all of the above requirements. Your installer will be able to assist you with getting most of these things done.
When you are ready you can fill out a Renewable Heat Premium Payment application online with the EST.
If you meet the conditions you will receive a voucher which you have a set period to redeem. You can redeem the voucher by returning a signed version with a copy of the invoice and a certificate from the Microgeneration Certification Scheme. The money will then be paid into your bank account.
And more benefits!
People who have installed renewable heating systems under the Premium Payments scheme will also be eligible for support through the Renewable Heat Incentive providing they meet the eligibility criteria of the full RHI scheme, as will anybody else who has installed eligible equipment after 15 July 2009.
- What is the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)?
- The RHI will provide payments over a set period of time to generators of renewable heat. It starts in September 2011 for industrial, commercial and public sector installations and Government has announced its intention to make support under the scheme available to households in Autumn 2012.
- How much are the Renewable Heat Premium Payments?
- It depends which technology you are applying for. The voucher values for each of the technologies are listed below.
- Solar Thermal Hot Water - £300
- Air Source Heat Pump - £850
- Ground Source or Water Source Heat Pump - £1250
- Biomass boiler - £950
- Can I pay a deposit before I apply for my Renewable Heat Premium Payment voucher?
- Please note that any payment you make to your installer is done at your own risk. Making an application does not automatically guarantee that you will receive a voucher.
- Free home assessment
- Find solutions to reduce your bills
- Get quotes from accredited installers